2010/04/03

SW Origami


Well, I guess it has been a while since I last posted, so in an attempt to jump-start back into action, I thought I would draw your attention to a website that I particularly admire. I discovered this site in my early years of origami. It was a real spark for me.

I knew that the master folders could use mathematical secrets to design whatever they wanted, but it was by stumbling upon this site that I realized one did not need to be a renowned master to take full advantage of origami. Here, this guy designs half the Star Wars universe in paper and then put the instructions on the web for everyone to see! I have taken shameless advantage of that and folded all of his models to impress friends.

For some reason it was, and still is, important to me that he not only went through all the trouble of designing them, but then did not publish them in a book to make money. He shared them without any apparent profit. That is the model I envision for art and here he has done just that.


[The image is from this site. The models are designed, and presumably folded by, Philip Schulz.]

No comments:

Post a Comment